Tuesday, May 7, 2013

First email from Mission Field!!!


Well hello family!!  I did make it safe and sound and I am glad you got the email from president and sister L - so my area is called Newcastle Upon Tyne.   Don't let the name be deceiving  it is a bigger city so ummm nothing like I was expecting England to be like. not fancy or proper at all ;) But emmy it is almost as far north as you can go so I have been keeping my eye out for a 1D singer- but haven't found any yet ;)
 
So SUNDAY I AM SKYPING HOME!! yay! thanks dad for sending the account and password- you are one step ahead of the game! so I will be skyping at 5pm England time. . . I don't know what time that is for you guys. . . . but before I call home on Sunday it would be great if you guys logged onto mine and called yours so I have your account name and to make sure everything is working.  will you send a quick email before sunday to write your skype name down?  So everything should work and I will see you guys on Sunday!!
 
So happy bank holiday- that is why I didn't email home on monday- the library was closed but we were still able to have Pday, so we went to the beach :) pretty much everyone in the area came- it was a BLAST! fish and chips, beach volleyball, and of course football (soccer in USA) - it wouldn't be england without football.
 
I love it guys!! I love my trainer, her name is Sister R. and she is great!  She is super supportive and has been out a long time so she is FULL of knowledge.  So how it worked was on Wednesday we traveled by bus to a church in Leeds- and we had some orientation then the missionaries started to come and all the newbies got to bare their testimonies. then all the sisters lined up- president introduced all of us and said who their trainer was they ran up and gave us a hug.  So he gets to me my trainer runs up- and president says to everyone Sister Monroe how comfortable are you with Chinese. . . uhhhhh???? he said well looks like you'll be learning lots.  . . .my heart dropped. . . . . so ya she is assigned to speak chinese and most of our investigators are chinese.  we do most of the lessons in english with a little chinese but there is one that doesn't speak any english. . our sunday school class is all chinese. . . .and they are ordering me a chinese name tag.  But never frett because I am assigned English so I am supposed to teach in english any chinese I pick up is just for me I'm not required to learn any, but it would be helpful ;)
 
so I already had an experience with NASTY FOOD! what the heck i'm in england I'm supposed to get good stuff right?! nope! SO it was my second day here and we were at our tea appointment (ps that means dinner appointment) so we were at a families house from Africa - super nice family - so they bring out the soup. . . . it was cow stomach and brain. . . . I tried my hardest to eat it. . but there was hair on the back side of every single piece and I chocked like half of it down but I just couldn't do it. . . . I felt so bad. they are the nicest family ever. . . . EWWWWWWWWW welcome to the mission ;)
 
So there are 4 of us living in our flat- which is GREAT! they are in the same situation - trainer called to speak chinese but it is the BIGGEST tender mercy/ blessing ever because the other girl her name is Sister S and she was the first sister I met at the airport- we became very fast friends and I love her to death! and we are living together!!!!! It is SO much fun! and so the 4 of us are in the same ward and so are our zone leaders- so 6 missionaries in one ward. and oh my gosh this ward is tiny! pretty sure one year at lake powell we had more people on the house boat than there were at sacrament meeting! But its great :) the support of members is pretty good- we have tea appointments almost every night which is so fun because we are meeting the members and it's the 6 of us so it is always so much fun! one of the elders is hilarious and all of us get along great!!!
 
oh the flat I live in has been Elder's apartment for the past 5 years. . .. and our district leader cleaned it for 6 hours before we came- it is pretty good now but they left us pics of what it used to look like. . . NASTY!! hahah but it is a pretty big flat on top of a hair salon- you have to go through this gate to get there and it reminds me a lot of New York- which btw YAY for Sarah!! I love her SO much and I am so excited for her!!!! YAYAYAYAYAY
 
So I get around by metro, bus and walking. and I still have not seen ANY rain since I've been here! it rained like 2 at the MTC but I was inside so doesn't really count- I know I just jinxed myself. . . . haha but it is at times pretty cold but the past 2 days have been nice- I even got sunburned at the beach!
 
Well family I love you!!! And I can't wait to talk on Sunday- 5 England time so like 10 america time? ya I have no idea haha but see ya then!! 
 
Love you!!!!
 
ps Em, cat fight at your comp?! no way!! that is intense!!! hahaha glad you guys had fun with Char and Ben!! 











No comments:

Post a Comment